South Africa Unabridged Birth Certificates – Home Affairs Announcement

Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba has said that the details of parents will be printed in children’s passports.

“In this way, the department will have delivered on the earlier Cabinet concession of easing travel with children,” he said.

This will be rolled out in conjunction with the Department of Home Affairs’ ‘Modernisation’ programme, which began in 2010.

The Minister said: “We are now moving to a paperless process for birth, marriage and death registration in a phased-in approach, as well as the printing of parents’ details in the children’s passports. This is another way of ‘meeting the future’, by rising to opportunities created by technological advancements for maximising client satisfaction. To do this, requires a major system upgrade, commencing on Friday afternoon, July 13.”

He added that if a child was not travelling with parents (one or both), however, written consent would still be required.

As last year 1 Feb 2017, was supposed to be when Home Affairs was going to put the child’s details in the mother’s  RSA passport, so as to do away with this UBC when travelling abroad as a minor.

However, seeing is believing… Visalogix, will keep you updated as Home Affairs makes the actual changes.